If you are coming to stay with us at Old Town Chambers, make your visit extra special and stay in our historic Townhouse.  Some parts of the townhouse can be traced back to the 15th century and original features can be seen across all three luxurious floors. The townhouse perfectly mixes old and new, with modern fittings positioned alongside period features, creating a comfortable, luxurious environment, full of character.

chambers-apartments-33

History

The earliest mention of the building is in records from 1490 that show the townhouse was owned by the wealthy merchant, Andrew Bertram, who was also briefly provost (mayor) of the burgh in 1498. Although the records suggest the Townhouse building itself pre-existed these dates, this is the earliest written documentation confirming it’s ownership.

During the 16th century, the property passed between a number of other families and merchants who changed the interior and in some cases, added to the building. During the ownership period of the wealthy merchant Clement Cor in the mid 1500s, the Townhouse saw the most change. The top floor of the current building was added by the prominent Cor in 1553, and he is also thought to have painted the ceilings in the upper floors, something common at this time, in Scottish homes and castles owned by the wealthiest of merchants and aristocrats. The initials of Clement and his wife, Helen Bellenden, and his armorial achievement can still be seen engraved on the surround of the northernmost pair of doors entering from the close.

advocates-close-looking-to-st-giles

Shortly before his death in 1603, Cor gave his property to his daughter Margaret and her husband, Alexander Livingstone, who sold the lowest floor above the faults to another owner. Between this time and the latter 1600s, the building was split and lived in by multiple parties at once, most of whom were prominent members of the local community before, in the 1700s, many of the moneyed people moved to the New Town to the north. The Old Town became increasingly run down and many of the buildings became home to workshops, small factories and large, poor families, often crowded into single rooms.

In the 1980s, the City Council took over and restored the building, revealing some of the original features including some incredible fireplaces. After the refurbishment, the building was occupied, fittingly, by the Old Town Committee for Conservation and Renewal. Before it was transformed once again into a beautiful Townhouse by the Chris Stewart Group, the space was also used as an art gallery.

Features

Now the townhouse offers guests the chance to stay in a unique venue and soak up the history whilst enjoying the benefits of luxury 5-star accommodation. The Townhouse sleeps 4 people comfortably with 2 bedrooms both with king-size beds. On the first floor, the master bedroom offers guests the chance to stay in a historic room with vaulted ceilings and original features. The bedroom also has its own roll top bathtub and large shuttered windows looking out onto Advocates close.

chambers-town-house-1-final-15mb

An opulent open plan bathroom is situated on the second floor with another roll top bath, sumptuous curtains for privacy, and two ancient fireplaces. All of our bathrooms are supplied with luxury cowshed toiletries, so all that’s left to do is light the candles, draw the curtains and relax into the bath to enjoy your own tranquil haven.

chambers-town-house-2-final-15mbMoving up to the third floor, there is an open plan living space consisting of a kitchen and a living area, along with the second bedroom.  The living room is full of original features including another two old fireplaces and beautiful wooden beams. There is also a contemporary fully fitted kitchen with all the trimmings, stylish modern lighting, a smart TV, high-speed Wifi and a Bose sound system. This living area is made for chilling out on the bespoke Charlotte James sofas, after a busy day sight-seeing, and soaking up the atmosphere of this unique location.

Enjoy the best rates when you book with us directly through the Lateral City website: www.lateralcity.com/old-town-chambers